Whyte Chemicals, one of the UK's largest remaining privately-owned chemical distributors, has been acquired out of administration by the OQEMA Group
June 29 2018, David R BrownTweet
Whyte Chemicals has been acquired out of administration by the UK division of OQEMA (formerly Overlack). Founded in 1976, Whyte Chemicals is based in North London with its main distribution centre based at a nine-acre site in Denaby, South Yorkshire. The chemical distribution business is one of the largest privately owned distributors of chemicals in the UK, with an annual turnover of around £70m and 44 employees.
Whyte Chemicals has been a driving force in the industry and we are excited about the possibilities that lie aheadRobert Moss
Managing Director of OQEMA Ltd
The sale follows the appointment of Andrew Andronikou and Paul Zalkin, of business advisory and corporate recovery firm Quantuma, as joint administrators of Whyte Chemicals Ltd after the company, based in north London and Denaby, South Yorkshire, was forced to restructure its credit facilities earlier this year.
Robert Moss, managing director of OQEMA Ltd, the UK division of the Germany-based OQEMA AG group, said: “We are delighted to welcome a strong force in the UK chemical distribution industry into the OQEMA family. “Whyte Chemicals has been a driving force in the industry and we are excited about the possibilities that lie ahead. We believe the new company will be able to capitalise on the solid business created by Melvyn Whyte over 40 years ago.”
Mr Whyte will remain an advisor to the new company until the end of the year to help manage the transition.
Andronikou said: “The last few months have been a testing time for the suppliers, customers and loyal staff of Whyte Chemicals Ltd. “Without their forbearance and understanding the job of rescuing this leading name in the chemical distribution industry would not have been possible.”
All staff will transfer to a new company called OQEMA Whyte Ltd. OQEMA Ltd was formed by the acquisition of Lansdowne Chemical in 2015 by the then Germany-based Overlack Group. The rest of the Whyte Group of companies remain unaffected by the transaction.
OQEMA is an internationally active distribution company for basic chemicals and specialities headquartered in Mönchengladbach, Germany. In addition to the distribution and marketing of products, OQEMA also operates a chemical manufacturing division (manufacturing nitrate products) and a specialist Hydrazine Hydrate dilution facility. Founded in 1922 the business remains privately owned by the Overlack family. OQEMA serves customers globally, providing a broad range of products in areas including CASE, homecare & industrial cleaning, life sciences, lubricants, plastic & rubber, textile & leather and water treatment. In 2017, the OQEMA Group reported revenues of EUR 754M.
Source(s): Chemagility Sources
Attention Chemical Distributors!
Please send your press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest Distributor News
- 8 Feb 2019 - Univar and Nexeo Solutions to divest Nexeo's plastics distribution business to One Rock Capital Partners »...Source: Univar Press Release
- 17 Jan 2019 - Azelis acquires Polish flavours distributor Euroconsultant Sp.zoo »...Source: Azelis Press Release
- 16 Jan 2019 - Brenntag strengthens US lubricants business by acquiring the lubricants division of Reeder Distributors, Inc. »...Source: Brenntag Press Release
- 19 Dec 2018 - Brenntag strengthens footprint in the Canadian Life Science markets by acquiring Pachem Distribution »...Source: Brenntag Press Release
- 19 Dec 2018 - Azelis increases its pharma presence in Italy through the acquisition of Deafarma S.r.l. »...Source: Azelis Press Release
- 13 Dec 2018 - Rehau completes acquisition of commodity polymer supplier MB Barter & Trading »...Source: Rehau Group Press Release
- 13 Dec 2018 - HARKE Pharma and Hulshof Protein Technologies joint forces in the sales of beef proteins in Europe »...Source: Harke Group Press Release
- 1 Dec 2018 - Ravago Chemicals acquires global chemical distribution and trading company, KH Chemicals »...Source: Ravago Chemicals Press Rlease
- 19 Nov 2018 - Aspo's Telko Oy acquires Danish polymer distributor H H plastkombi a/s »...Source: Telko Press Release
- 15 Nov 2018 - Singapore's Keppel acquires Australian Chemical firm Ixom from Blackstone for AUD 777 million »...Source: KIT Press Release
- 14 Nov 2018 - IMCD completes the acquisition of Indian specialty chemicals distributor Aroma »...Source: IMCD Press Release
- 31 Oct 2018 - VELOX Composites announces strategic distribution partnership with Ashland for Sweden, Norway and Denmark »...Source: VELOX Press Release
- 23 Oct 2018 - Medichem and HARKE GROUP announce collaboration in DACH region »...Source: Harke Group Press Release
- 11 Oct 2018 - Bodo Möller Chemie France strengthens French distribution business with the acquisition of Acanthe »...Source: Bodo Möller Chemie Press Release
- 25 Sep 2018 - Caldic boosts operations in West Coast, USA by acquiring food ingredients distributor, Cooperative Purchasers »...Source: Caldic Press Release
- 19 Sep 2018 - Chemical distributor Univar to buy Nexeo in USD 2 billion transaction »...Source: Univar Press Release
- 13 Sep 2018 - Brenntag strengthens its specialty chemicals platform in Africa by acquiring distributor Desbro Group »...Source: Brenntag Press Release
- 6 Sep 2018 - Indukern has acquired French ingredient company Diffusions Aromatiques SAS »...Source: Indukern Press Release
- 29 Aug 2018 - IMCD to acquire European speciality chemicals distributor Velox »...Source: IMCD Press Release
- 16 Aug 2018 - Brenntag acquires Belgium-based, specialty chemicals distributor Alphamin »...Source: Brenntag Press Release
- 10 Aug 2018 - Azelis strengthens its presence in Ireland through the acquisition of P-K Chemicals Limited »...Source: Azelis Press Release
- 13 Jul 2018 - Caldic completes acquisition of HT Griffin Food Ingredients in Canada »...Source: Caldic Press Release
- 12 Jul 2018 - Leading U.S. specialty chemical & ingredients distributor Charkit acquires assets of ChayseChem, Inc. »...Source: Charkit Press Release
- 3 Jul 2018 - Brenntag strengthens its footprint in Canada by acquiring the chemicals distribution business of Canada Colors and Chemicals »...Source: Brenntag Press Release
- 29 Jun 2018 - Whyte Chemicals, one of the UK's largest remaining privately-owned chemical distributors, has been acquired out of administration by the OQEMA Group »...Source: Chemagility Sources