Whyte Chemicals, one of the UK's largest remaining privately-owned chemical distributors, has been acquired out of administration by the OQEMA Group
June 29 2018, David R BrownTweet
Whyte Chemicals has been acquired out of administration by the UK division of OQEMA (formerly Overlack). Founded in 1976, Whyte Chemicals is based in North London with its main distribution centre based at a nine-acre site in Denaby, South Yorkshire. The chemical distribution business is one of the largest privately owned distributors of chemicals in the UK, with an annual turnover of around £70m and 44 employees.
Whyte Chemicals has been a driving force in the industry and we are excited about the possibilities that lie aheadRobert Moss
Managing Director of OQEMA Ltd
The sale follows the appointment of Andrew Andronikou and Paul Zalkin, of business advisory and corporate recovery firm Quantuma, as joint administrators of Whyte Chemicals Ltd after the company, based in north London and Denaby, South Yorkshire, was forced to restructure its credit facilities earlier this year.
Robert Moss, managing director of OQEMA Ltd, the UK division of the Germany-based OQEMA AG group, said: “We are delighted to welcome a strong force in the UK chemical distribution industry into the OQEMA family. “Whyte Chemicals has been a driving force in the industry and we are excited about the possibilities that lie ahead. We believe the new company will be able to capitalise on the solid business created by Melvyn Whyte over 40 years ago.”
Mr Whyte will remain an advisor to the new company until the end of the year to help manage the transition.
Andronikou said: “The last few months have been a testing time for the suppliers, customers and loyal staff of Whyte Chemicals Ltd. “Without their forbearance and understanding the job of rescuing this leading name in the chemical distribution industry would not have been possible.”
All staff will transfer to a new company called OQEMA Whyte Ltd. OQEMA Ltd was formed by the acquisition of Lansdowne Chemical in 2015 by the then Germany-based Overlack Group. The rest of the Whyte Group of companies remain unaffected by the transaction.
OQEMA is an internationally active distribution company for basic chemicals and specialities headquartered in Mönchengladbach, Germany. In addition to the distribution and marketing of products, OQEMA also operates a chemical manufacturing division (manufacturing nitrate products) and a specialist Hydrazine Hydrate dilution facility. Founded in 1922 the business remains privately owned by the Overlack family. OQEMA serves customers globally, providing a broad range of products in areas including CASE, homecare & industrial cleaning, life sciences, lubricants, plastic & rubber, textile & leather and water treatment. In 2017, the OQEMA Group reported revenues of EUR 754M.
Source(s): Chemagility Sources
Attention Chemical Distributors!
Please send your press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest Distributor News
- 20 May 2019 - Safic-Alcan opens a new subsidiary in Greece »...Source: Safic Alcan Press Release
- 13 May 2019 - Krahn Chemie acquires eMBe Products & Service »...Source: Krahn Chemie Group Press Release
- 1 May 2019 - Brenntag expands its value-added services offering in the USA by acquiring Marlin Company »...Source: Brenntag Press Release
- 1 Apr 2019 - Oqema group acquires Italian chemical distributor Elettrochimica Valle Staffora (EVS) »...Source: Oqema Press Release
- 1 Apr 2019 - Sumitomo acquires a majority stake in SACI-CFPA (SACI), a Paris-based cosmetic ingredients distributor »...Source: Sumitomo Press Release
- 1 Apr 2019 - Pietro Carini changes its name to Krahn Italia »...Source: Krahn Chemie Group Press Release
- 29 Mar 2019 - Safic-Alcan acquires Luigi & Felice Castelli and a majority stake in Castelli Food »...Source: Safic Alcan Press Release
- 22 Mar 2019 - Chemlink Specialities Ltd and Addi-Tec Ltd are now part of the HARKE GROUP »...Source: Harke Press Release
- 18 Mar 2019 - Safic-Alcan acquires UK-based specialty chemicals distributor, Langley-Smith & Company »...Source: Safic Alcan Press Release
- 14 Mar 2019 - Brenntag buys a 51% stake in Singapore-based supply chain solutions leader, TEEHAI »...Source: Brenntag Press Release
- 12 Mar 2019 - Azelis strengthens its presence in Canada through the acquisition of Chemroy »...Source: Azelis Press Release
- 4 Mar 2019 - Brenntag acquires regional US specialty chemicals distributor New England Resins & Pigments Corporation »...Source: Brenntag Press Release
- 1 Mar 2019 - Aceto to divest chemical and ingredient distribution assets because of bankruptcy »...Source: Aceto Press release
- 1 Mar 2019 - Univar completes acquisition of Nexeo Solutions and re-launches as Univar Solutions »...Source: Univar Press Release
- 1 Mar 2019 - STOCKMEIER acquires the industrial chemicals division of Spanish distributor, Indukern »...Source: Stockmeier Press release
- 28 Feb 2019 - Azelis buys MK Ingredients & Specialties to strengthen its position in the Indian food segment »...Source: Azelis Press Release
- 8 Feb 2019 - Univar and Nexeo Solutions to divest Nexeo's plastics distribution business to One Rock Capital Partners »...Source: Univar Press Release
- 22 Jan 2019 - Regulatory consulting services Yordas Group expands with the opening of German office »...Source: Yordas Press Release
- 17 Jan 2019 - Azelis acquires Polish flavours distributor Euroconsultant Sp.zoo »...Source: Azelis Press Release
- 16 Jan 2019 - Brenntag strengthens US lubricants business by acquiring the lubricants division of Reeder Distributors, Inc. »...Source: Brenntag Press Release
- 19 Dec 2018 - Brenntag strengthens footprint in the Canadian Life Science markets by acquiring Pachem Distribution »...Source: Brenntag Press Release
- 19 Dec 2018 - Azelis increases its pharma presence in Italy through the acquisition of Deafarma S.r.l. »...Source: Azelis Press Release
- 13 Dec 2018 - Rehau completes acquisition of commodity polymer supplier MB Barter & Trading »...Source: Rehau Group Press Release
- 13 Dec 2018 - HARKE Pharma and Hulshof Protein Technologies joint forces in the sales of beef proteins in Europe »...Source: Harke Group Press Release
- 1 Dec 2018 - Ravago Chemicals acquires global chemical distribution and trading company, KH Chemicals »...Source: Ravago Chemicals Press Rlease